Frequently Asked Questions

Booking, Payments, Refunds, Cancellations

How do I book an RYA Course?

Each individual course on this website has its own booking page with a link to take you to the booking site where you can pay. if you are not sure which course to choose, consult the links at the top of each group of courses, labelled 'which course is right for me?', or similar wording. if you are still unsure, please get in touch with us.

Booking Terms & Conditions?


Refunds/Cancellations by customer

Cancellation by You & Sea

Late Payment:

Do the courses represent good value for money?

In life you pretty much get what you pay for. We don’t pretend to be the cheapest but the course will be on well maintained first rate craft, and run by highly qualified instructors who are guaranteed to teach current best practice. We have top notch facilities in a marina offering a great all-round experience. Check out the other relevant pages on this website to see what we mean.We also would expect that by attending a course at You & Sea you will be viewed as a skipper or crew member who has trained at a centre respected for delivering high quality career enhancing courses.

Practical Courses

What kind of boats do you have in your fleet? - Click here

What will I need to bring with me? 

Lifejackets and wet weather gear (excluding shoes/boots) are provided  for all of our practical courses. However you are more than welcome to bring your own. Please bring clothing relevant to the time of year – this should include some or all of the following: waterproof clothing, waterproof  boots/shoes, hat, gloves, sunglasses, sun cream. We don’t expect your clothes to get wet but it's always worth bringing a spare change of clothes just in case. All powerboat courses are non-residential but some of the motor cruiser courses are residential and you will be staying on board - all bedding will be supplied. Please bring collapsible bags as space on Millbrook is limited.

Remember to bring all certificates needed if completing a CofC. If you are unsure what to bring, please contact us. 

What time do the courses start & finish? 

The courses all start at 9am unless otherwise specified. Powerboat Level 2 and Intermediate PB courses should finish around 5pm. Part of the Advanced Powerboat course will require a night navigation exercise which will normally be conducted on night one. The duration of the night passage is normally between 2.5 and 3 hours. Motor cruising course timings vary greatly. The start time is normally 9am and the majority of the courses will require evening work, either theory sessions alongside in the marina or night exercises.

Where do we go on the course? 

A normal Powerboat level 2 course will start and finish at Rhu Marina. During the course we will take in the sights and sounds of the River Clyde, the Gareloch and Loch Long, visiting places such as the Gantocks, Holy Loch Marina, and James Watt Dock. The Intermediate powerboat course will go further afield to more challenging waters such as the Kyles of Bute and the upper River Clyde to practise vital skills such as pilotage, electronic navigation. We chose Rhu Marina as our base because of its location and easy access to the Clyde and because of the endless possibilities for teaching in all weather conditions. Motor Cruising courses will go even further afield to places such as Campbeltown, Loch Fyne, & Ardrossan.

Will I be safe on board? 

YES. Sailing, motorboating and powerboating are inherently safe sports when practised correctly - which You & Sea RYA Training Courses always are. Be assured you will be supervised and supported by a competent and professional Skipper or instructor who is RYA qualified. We recognise that many customers, particularly those new to boating, may be apprehensive about going to sea on what is considered a ‘small vessel’ (that is, one under 24 metres).So one of our main aims is to allay those fears and instil confidence - all our courses include a thorough introductory explanation and safety briefing - but we find that the best way to alleviate concerns is to actually go out on the water, get on with the course, and start to enjoy yourself. Our instructors pay close attention to the weather forecasts and will never go out in conditions that are unsafe. All our vessels are designed with safety and performance as a priority. They are also subject to very stringent safety & equipment requirements with regular inspections administered by both the RYA and MCA (Maritime & Coastguard Agency). This also applies to our safety management systems and standard operating procedures - the safety and comfort of our customers is paramount.

Are there toilets on board your boats?  

There are 2 toilets (heads) on Millbrook. There are no toilets on our powerboat; however we are never very far from facilities. 

Shorebased Courses

What will I need to bring with me?

We will provide everything you need to complete your RYA shorebased theory course.  However, if you intend to do any of your own sailing or yacht-chartering then it would be a good idea to purchase your own set of plotters/dividers etc which are used to navigate using paper charts and are essential for maritime navigation. A good quality set will cost between £20 & £30, and should last a lifetime if treated well. These can be purchased either online or in the Chandlery in the marina.

The Essential Navigation & Seamanship Course Pack comes with a set of plotters/dividers for you to keep, so purchasing additional ones is not necessary if you are doing this course.

What time should I arrive for my course?

All of our Practical courses start at 09:15 on the first morning unless stated otherwise in your course joining instructions. Please arrive promptly.

Are there toilets & eating facilities?

Our training centre has a toilet as well as a small kitchen with kettle and microwave. There are also toilets and a café in Rhu Marina. There are a couple of hotels within walking distance of the marina or alternatively Helensburgh town centre is only 2 miles away. You are of course more than welcome to bring your own packed lunch. Tea,coffee and snacks will be provided during your course.

General Questions

How do I choose which course is right for me?

You will find all the information about our courses including the syllabus & pre requisites on this website. Alternatively, please don’t hesitate to pick up the phone to our office team who are always happy to help, or pop us an email to

Where do I find You & Sea?

Click here to go to our Location page 

What if I’m going to be late for a course?

If you anticipate that you are going to be late for a course then phone 01436 640303 or 07732 518858 at the earliest opportunity to let the instructor know.

What about accommodation, if my course is longer than one day? 

If you are on a motor cruising course, you are more than welcome to stay aboard 'Millbrook'. - please let us know in advance if you would like to take advantage of this offer.  There are two bunks in the forward cabin and two in the aft cabin. All bedding is provided. Accommodation is not available for powerboat or shorebased courses, but we are on the edge of Loch Lomond National Park in a tourist area and there are lots of hotels & B&Bs in the area. Click here to view a list of nearby hotels.

Is food provided on the courses?

All lunches are provided for Motor Cruising coursesd, and evening meals are included on nights when you are out on a night passage. for shorebased and powerboat courses, light refreshments are included (tea/coffee/biscuits). You are welcome to bring your own packed lunch. There are places nearby where you can buy sandwiches etc.

Is there parking?

There is plenty of free parking available outside our office. Please note, this area is a working yard and we would kindly ask you to be considerate about where you park your vehicle. If you are unsure where to park, please ask us when you arrive.

International Certificate of Competence, I.C.C.

What is the I.C.C. and how do I get one?

The International Certificate of Competence or I.C.C. is otherwise known as the ‘Charter  Licence’. This is accepted internationally and allows you to charter vessels up to 10  metres in length (if Powerboat 2) or over 10m in length ( if Advanced Powerboat) either on a bareboat or flotilla-type charter. It is obtained by  completing the I.C.C. Application Form and you will require the following:

Direct Assessments for the ICC are available. Please contact the office for details

What information will my certificate show?

Certificates which are issued after successful completion of an RYA certified course will always include the Royal Yachting Association logo along with the holders name. The course completion date will also be clearly marked, as some certificates do require revalidation. Some courses will require a passport size photograph as this will form part of the certificate; please check joining instruction carefully to see if this is required.

All course completion certificates are signed by either the training centre principal or chief instructor. They will also include the training centre at which the course was completed.

Please note; Certificates of Competency are issued by the RYA Certification Department and will be sent via post on successful completion of an exam.

Data Protection

You & Sea is full compliant with the new Data Protections regulations. Please click here for our full Data Protection policy.